Tabs

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Blueberry Coffee Cake...and the Beef Stew (Cake Recipe)

Like I said in my previous entry, I put the beef stew in the crockpot, that I froze on Sunday, for dinner tonight.  I did put the bag in the microwave for 20 minutes on defrost before putting in the crock. You don't have to if you don't want, but it was easier to get out of the bag that way.  It filled the house with such awesome aroma!  Of course, the family loves it!!


I served it will Dark Sweet Rolls...the kind you get at fancy restaurants before the meal!

After dinner, I thought I would treat the family to a coffee cake to go with milk, or hot cocoa, or coffee....and it would be great for breakfast in the morning as well.

To tweak the recipe, I used Splenda in place of sugar in the dry mixture  but used real sugar for the top of the cake.  And because some of my kids don't like almonds, I just omitted the almonds.  Also, I used fresh blueberries, versus frozen, and didn't dust them with flour.  Let's just say....DELICIOUS!  This will be made again and again!


Just out of oven

Spingform pan

Blueberry Coffee Cake

1 egg
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt (I used vanilla fat free because it is what I had on hand)
3 tbsp. veg oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen (I used fresh)
1 tbsp all purpose flour (I omitted)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp almonds, sliced
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk first 4 ingredients together in large bowl.  Sift together flour, and next three ingredients in another bowl.  Stir flour mixure into the egg mixture.  The batter is very thick.  Toss in 1 1/4 cup blueberries tossed in flour; fold into batter carefully.  Pour into a lightly greased with cooking spray springform pan.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup blueberries, cinnamon, sugar, and almonds.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center comes out clean.  Cool pan for about 15 minutes, remove side of pan.  Enjoy!


Out of pan


YUMMY!!!

Remember, this is a coffee cake so it's not as sweet as a dessert cake.  
Would be a perfect breakfast or snack cake!

Hope you enjoy these recipes!  Beef stew and blueberry coffee cake....who could have asked for anything better on such a busy day of school and volleyball!  And tomorrow's Friday...and if you are lucky...it's a long weekend with Monday being a holiday!  Hope you enjoy time with your family!  I plan to...

I will close with my kids' devotional verse they studied today!  

Jer 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment