Tabs

Monday, January 14, 2013

Recipes

Hello everyone!  Hope all is well with your family.  It has been a few days since I was on here.  The flu hit our house last week into the weekend.  My oldest son, Ryan, 20, got a severe case of the flu and we are finally on the mend just in time for him to start back to college classes today.  Praying everyone else stays well and your family is spared as well.

Now yesterday, I decided, since I am trying to be healthier and loose my excess weight this year, I would do some meals in advance that are healthy, and I can freeze to make it easier with our busy schedule.  It seems the busier we are, the worse we eat because we just grab a pizza or I make something quick that might not be the healthiest.  On top of planning our meals and cooking ahead, I've saved a LOT of money.  I only spent just under $200 for the month on these meals ( when I say month, I am just including weekdays since those are our busiest days and we do like to go out from time to time.)

I have several recipes I used and I double them all so that I can rotate the meals in then month.  This saves time and money because you can buy bigger cans, bulk items of produce, etc. to cook your meals.  I just place in our outside freezer and leave my freezer in our kitchen for everyday use.  If you are not lucky enough to have two freezers, you can still do these recipes, because they don't take up a lot of space.

So here are the recipes I used for this month.  Next month, I will use another set of recipes and probably the next month.  Then start back on January's list.  That way we are eating things different and not getting bored.  If you don't want to cook and freeze, you can still use these recipes to cook on a daily basis or weekly or however you choose.

Recipes

Chipotle Macaroni Casserole

1 package 7oz macaroni (I used whole wheat ziti)
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of 14 1/2 oz or 1 can of 28 oz diced tomatoes (do not drain; I used organic)
1 can (16 oz) Kidney beans (omit if you don't like beans)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
1 - 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder (we don't like things too spicy so I omitted this)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded cheese (I used one cup to cut down on calories)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (again, I omitted since we don't like spicy food)

Remember, you can do what I did and double the recipe and freeze or double and make one for dinner and freeze one.

In large saucepan or pasta pot, cook pasta.  While pasta cooks, brown beef with onions and garlic in skillet until beef is brown.  Drain fat.  Add tomatoes  beans, paste, chilies, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper to skillet.  When pasta is finished, Drain and add macaroni noodles to mixture.

Lightly spray two 9x12 casserole pans or use aluminum ones from the store.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Divide mixture evenly into dishes, then top with cheese and jalapenos.  If you only want to make 9x9 pan (brownie pan size) then you can make 4 meals.  Depends on the size of your family.  Cover lightly with foil and cook at 375 for half an hour, then remove foil and bake for 10 minutes until hot and bubbly and cheese has melted and browned a bit. (Mine only took 30 minutes total so be sure to watch.)  

To freeze...let it cool completely.  Then cover and freeze.  On cooking day:  Thaw overnight in fridge.  Put foil on top (should already have that on there from freezer) and bake 375 for 20-25 minutes till heated through.  Serve.


Healthy Mama Barbecue Chicken

3 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2 in pieces
2 large green peppers, cut into strips
1 large red pepper, cut into strips
1 zucchini, chopped
1 med onion, sliced or chopped
1 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca (I don't like tapioca so I will add corn starch to thicken when I cook the dish)
2 lbs chicken thighs or drumsticks
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt

Dump everything into 2 gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, and label for freezer.  On day to cook, place in crock pot and cook all day.  You can defrost in fridge night before, then place in crock pot. 

Crockpot Italian Sausage and Peppers

1lb Italian Sausage Links (I used the extra lean turkey)
2 large bell pepper
1 large onion (I used red onion)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
2 tbsp Italian seasoning  

Split between two bags, seal, mix, lay flat, freeze.  Since I have a family of 5 with kids that are 20, 16, and 14, I used two packages of links (5 links per package) then divided the other ingredients between the two bags.  That way each bag has 5 links in it for a meal.  Serve on hot dog or sub buns.  And you can add a veggie or chips or potato salad for a side.

Again this one you could make one, freeze one.

Teriyaki Chicken

Medium to large bag of carrots (I peeled them and made large slices)
Red onion in large chunks
2 cans of pineapple chucks undrained
4 cloves garlic
4 chicken breasts
1 cup teriyaki sauce

Again because my family is larger, I used 8 LARGE chicken breasts and split it between.

Split into two bags, seal, mix, lay flat, freeze.

Write on bags....Add additional 1/4 sauce to crock pot and cook on low 6-7 hours.  Serve with hot rice.

Again, you can make one for dinner, freeze one.

Savory Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts (I used 8)
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 tbs white wine or chicken broth
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth (I used homemade broth from another recipe I am posting but you can buy it as well)
salt, pepper to taste, 2 bay leaves
4 cups broccoli (add when you cook if you are freezing)

Split between two bags, seal, mix, lay flat, freeze.  I washed and blanched my broccoli and froze it in a separate bag.

Write on bag, Cook in crockpot low 6-7 hours, add broccoli during last 30 minutes, remove bay leaves and serve.

Beef Stew

3 lbs chuck roast cut into chunks (you can have the meat man cut for you if you choose)
6 small red potatoes quartered
1 onion sliced
4 carrots sliced
Freeze in a bag.  Write on bag...cook in crockpot, add 1 pkg dry onion soup mix, 2 cups water, and 1/4 flour (I dilute the flour in the water first)  Cook low high 6-8 hours, low 8-10 hours.

Honey Lime Chicken

1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of lime juice
6 chicken breast

Bake 350 for 30 minutes or done or grill out.  On this recipe I put the chicken in freezer bags (2 bags with 6 breasts each) then the sauce I put in another container both labeled.
Defrost in fridge overnight before cooking.  

Crockpot Spaghetti sauce

6 large tomatoes diced or use 2 - 28 oz diced tomatoes in can
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion
2 tbsp garlic chopped
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil (used fresh if you have it)
1 tbsp thyme
1/2 tbsp herbs de provence
1 cup white wine (or you can use broth)
2 tbsp sugar
salt, pepper to taste

Place all ingredience in a freezer bag, lay flat, freeze.  Write on bag....put in crockpot and cook low 6 hours or high 4 hours.  Serve with spaghetti or penne or with meatballs in a sub.  

Browned Ground Meat 
(Italian and Mexican meat.....Italian for spaghetti or casserole or shepherd's pie.....Mexican for tacos, machos, enchiladas, etc.)

Main recipe

2 lbs ground lean meat (I use 80/20 and buy in bulk or when on sale)
1 large onion chopped
2 shredded carrots (add these to meals to bulk up the meal cheap and add nutrition)
salt, pepper to taste
You can add diced tomatoes as well.

Brown meat, drain  

In Italian meat, put Italian seasoning to taste.  I put about 2-4 tablespoons for 4 lbs. meat.
In Mexican meat, put Taco seasoning.  Same as Italian.  Just taste until you get what you desire.

Place 2 lbs meat per bag ( I cooked 4 lbs each so just split the pan into bags which made 2 of each kind) seal, label, and put in freezer.

Shredded Chicken  

4 - 6 chicken breasts
2 large onions
3-4 carrots in chunks (no need to peel)
4-5 stalks of celery chunks
1 turnip cut in half (optional but worth it!)
salt and pepper

Add to stock pot, cover with water.  boil chicken until done.  Remove chicken, drain stock into a large bowl, toss veggies.  Let stock cool and place in bags in 1 or 2 cup servings or you can freeze them in ice trays and use them as needed.  Great for soups, casseroles, stews, and any recipe needing water or stock.  Just use in place of water for more flavor.  

Shred chicken after cooling, and place in freezer bags, seal, label, and use for tacos, salads, chicken salad, etc.

Beef Enchiladas

2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz) or homemade chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 small chipotle chile in adobe, minced, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
3/4 lbs - 1lb  lean ground beef 
salt and pepper
8 tortillas (6 in)
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese
1/4 cup cliantro chopped

Make sauce:  In saucepan, heat oil 1 1/2 tablespoon over medium, add flour, whisking, 1 minute.  Add broth, broth, chipltle and adobe sauce, and 3/4 cup water.  bring to boil whisking constantly.  Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until lightly thickened.

Make filling:  heat rest of oil in pan, add onion, beef, and garlic.  brown and season with salt and pepper.  

Preheat oven to 350.  (If freezing, don't place sauce in baking pan)  If not freezing...place 1/4 cup sauce at bottom of pan

Make enchiladas: heat tortillas by placing in microwave for 30 seconds or wrap in foil for 10 minutes in oven.  fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup or so of beef mixutre and 2 tablespoons of cheese.  tightly roll up and place in pan.

Raise heat to 450.  Top with remaining sauce and cheese  Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.  Let cook 10 minutes before serving.  Garnish with cilatro.

If you are freezing:  Place enchiladas in baking dish without the sauce.  Place the sauce in an airtight container.  Cover dish with two sheets of foil or plastic wrap then foil.  Use in 2 months.  To bake from frozen: remove foil and sprinkle cheese ontop and bake 450 for 30 minutes.  Or defrost in fridge over night, and bake for 15-20 minutes.  Sauce can be defrosted in fridge overnight or in a bath of hot water.  This recipe doubles easily so you can make both and freeze or make one for dinner and freeze the other.


Ok there's the recipes...shew.... I've got writer's cramp!  LOL!

I doubled all these recipes and froze them except the enchiladas which I am cooking tonight one and freezing another.  If you do what I do, make a grocery list of what you need based on what you already have at home.  Then begin prepping veggies...leave the meat in the fridge as long as you can.  Label all your bags for easy assemble.

Ingredients


Veggies


Lean Meats


Pep work of chopping, dicing, slicing


Freezer pic 1


Freezer pic 2


Freezer pic 3



I hope these recipes bring your family joy and happiness.  I hope the freezer method for some help you be able to relax more and spend time with your family during the busy days.  I know when I was working as a teacher, my crockpots were my best friend.  Who wants to cook after a long day of work??  This way, dinner is waiting for you to enjoy when it's dinner time and and you have time to put your feet up or go to soccer practice, or whatever your kids have going that day.  It's a long day of cooking, yes.  But it is worth every bit of time.  Cooking day takes between 5-6 hours but then you are ready for tackle the month with less stress.  Remember, you can use these recipes to make just a week's worth, or just all all the ingredients ready for the week to crock pot.  Whatever fits you best.  

I'd love to hear from you in the comments.  If you have questions, give me a shout too!

Blessings!

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.  Psalms 23:5

No comments:

Post a Comment